Thursday, July 30, 2009

It's Never A Waste

I had a conversation today about creativity. As I grow as an artist I realize how truly rare it is to make something perfect on my first try. That lack of success on my first try used to stop me in my tracks. Over time I've learned how very important it is to look for the good in each piece no matter how disappointing. Creativity is a journey. If I don't try because I'm afraid of failure I will never grow as an artist.

It's not a waste; no matter the time, no matter the materials in the beads that didn't work. Each one is an important lesson. Not that it's always easy. I have a three year old book of gold leaf in my bench drawer because I "don't want to waste it." It's something I have to get over. And sometimes I just want to bang my head on the wall after I repeat the same mistake several times in a row. It's not easy but I've discovered I that I can trust in the fact that it leads to wonderful discoveries.

What did I learn from the "failure"? I may have learned what not to do or I may see a way to branch off into a great new design. I also learn more about how glass moves each time I make a bead. I'd miss these lessons if I just threw the beads into a drawer and gave up.

What did I learn from success? Well, that all those other attempts led to the design I am happy with. That I've gained more control over my work.

What happens when I make that great bead? Well, I'm certainly happy and excited for a while but then it's time to start all over again. The excitement lasts for a while but what fun is it to make the same thing over and over and over and over? Nope, it's soon time to move on to the next challenge...and more disappointing beads that lead me down the path to a new design that I'm excited about. That's what keeps me coming back to the torch.

Disappointment and Success. I can't have one without the other and, over time, I've learned that that's my Creative Journey.

I wish you success on your own creative journeys.

No comments: