Tuesday, August 4, 2009

An Exciting Day

I think I'm being tested. I wrote about not giving up and now I cannot make a black/silver/CZ bead without getting a yellowish cast to them. I tried everything I can think of that could be a variable and it hasn't worked. Well, actually I'm wondering if I'm nearing the end of my propane tank; which always produces gas that seems a bit dirtier. Other than that I don't have a clue but I am not going to give up yet....perhaps the moon has to be in a certain phase........

Today was a big day for me. In the past, I've been offered space in three different galleries and one really nice bead store. In every case I declined the offer. But today I agreed to keep a small case filled with jewelry, that I've made from my beads, in a retail chain store that I like very much. It's a venue in a location that I think will fit my work very well. They only have 5 small jewelry cases and I will have to keep one of them filled with bracelets and matching earrings and also some pendants and chains. This will only be the second time I've done something like this and the last time was while I was still a goldsmith. I'm excited. Also, they'll have a trunk show for invited guests when my work first goes into the store. The only thing I'm concerned about is the fact that if they sell several items, I will get a call to come add new items. If I'm about to do a show, it could get a bit overwhelming but I can also try to have a bit of jewelry made up ahead of time. And while the Manager was looking at my beads, she showed a loyal customer who promptly asked for my card to give someone who oversees a Holiday Bazaar which consists of artists setting up their work in peoples' homes and then the public can go from home to home to look and buy artwork. It was a nice compliment and a surprise.

It all goes to show that you just never know where your artwork is going to take you if you stay positive and keep working at it. It's important to set boundries so you still have fun and make art that you enjoy. Say "no thank you" when you need to; yet be open mined and opportunities will occur.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Great wisdom Jennifer! Thanks-