I started the day with the discovery that I never turned the kiln off last night. It was still 960F and would require many hours to cool down slowly so I set up my old kiln so I could still make beads. I wasn't thinking clearly. I could simply have left it as it was and added today's beads. Oh well, I made beads and the other kiln was just fine.
I will not give up on my bead idea despite the fact that yet again, after yesterday's beads cooled, I opened the kiln to find, well, beads that did not work out. The third attempt at a bead design I've worked on since I took Melanie Moertel's class was better than the first two. The colors worked pretty well but later, when I happily scooped it up to bring into the house to show my husband, something caught my eye and I saw there was a crack in it. Cracks can show up months after a bead is made but usually they occur in the first day or two. The crack in today's bead was even worse when I went in to dip mandrels after dinner. It's an incompatibility crack. I can tell by how and where it cracked. I believe I mixed two different kinds of clear glass (a BIG No No). And I attempted to make beads with a zebra pattern for Urban Zen. I didn't like those either. It's been a rough week and I'm having to do a lot of self-talk. I won't give up. I won't get discouraged. I will be successful and I hope that's sooner rather than later.
Yes, I will post photos so you can see the "bad ones". I'll try to do that this weekend.
Hope you have a good weekend whatever you do with yours......I'll know I'll be in my studio.....
Friday, August 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment